2004 Mercury 115 4 Stroke Crank No Start when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Mercury 115 4 Stroke Crank No Start when hot

I have had this concern for a while. When I make a long run 10 miles or so at 4k rpm, when I shut the motor down and let it sit (hot soak) the motor cranks but will not start. I let cool down and the motors starts. FCJ Marine looked at this concern last year, they found a fuel hose bad along with fuel injectors that were dirty. After this repair, I did not experience concern till today. I did stop by FCJ on the way home and we went thru the process again of trying to diagnose the concern. To me, it acts like vapor lock. This a fuel injected motor and vapor lock is difficult to happen to the fuel pressure. I feel that the vapor canister is boiling the fuel out. This is a tough concern to fix and from what I have read several people have not fixed it.

If anyone has thoughts or help on this concern I would appreciate it.

I took the boat FCJ today. The cool part was one of the owners wearing a Saltwater Recon Shirt. I never had the chance to talk to him about it, hopefully, when I pick up the boat we will be able to talk.

Comment

Still no word on my boat. I have a few days off next week I would love to have it back.

Comment

The verdict is back on the boat. No Problem Found. Hmmm... bugs me cause I know it happens just a very tough concern to diagnose. I really need to get a new Sea Hunt

Comment

Hi all, I have posted about this concern before and still have the concern. When the motor is run for a distance 10 miles or so. When I let the engine sit for heat soak it will crank but not start. The engine will start after it sits for a few minutes. I have tried giving it partial throttle etc. the only thing that works is letting the motor cool down. I feel like the concern is fuel related but have not tested for lack of fuel or spark. I did test the block temps using an infrared thermometer here are the results:
          Ambient temp 99 F
          Water temp 87
          the cowl on the outside 125 F
          Starboard top of block 168 F
          Starboard middle block 163 F
          Starboard bottom of block 143 F
          Port top of block 174F
          Port middle of block 130F
          Port bottom of block 163F
          VST 145 F
          Fuel rail 129

I have no overheat alarm sounding. I will state that if I pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator the line has a fuel odor. I did test the regulator and it is not leaking.
          I am curious if this motor is running too hot.

Thanks!!

Comment

Nope your moor is not running too hot. Have you had any solution to this issue?

Comment

Nope, still no fix. This has been driving me nuts trying to chase it down.

Comment

Working...
              X